Thursday, March 3, 2016

New bike and riding in California!

I have been due for an update. Things have been crazy with school trying to get enough work done to justify taking the time off for training camp. The Monday before I left, I picked up my new Trek Emoda SL6, all blacked out. It looks sweet. I swapped the stem, saddle and bar tape, and now it is perfect. I am a pretty picking guy when it comes to bike fit/feel. I think that this is the least amount of things I have changed on a bike! First ride on it was down here in California, and it handles great! The Ultegra brakes provide impressive stopping power (I was definitely impressed, it felt more solid than my old sram red brakes), which adds lots of confidence on all of the descents. I don't have too much new information to share, so I will share some pictures as they are always more fun.
 Here is the new bike with race wheels on it. It didn't look quite right all black, and I think the fluoro-yellow bar tape adds a nice touch. I am learning though that it is hard to keep clean (the bar tape that is).
Here is my lovely bed for the next two weeks. It was either the couch or throw a mattress on the floor and sleep on that. Seems to be working just fine as I am sleeping like a log each night. Although I am known to be a very good sleeper. 
The landscape here is breath-taking. I have to keep reminding myself that I am riding my bike so that I don't drift off the road or into the other lane and crash. Have to try and stay focused...

 Off enjoying my first ride out! As you can see, still have no front teeth. Damn Paris to Ancaster... Hopefully the implants will be in by May.
First coffee ride was to a Starbucks. Since then we have made trips to other shops. Top recommendation from Sue Palmer-Komar is Panniken in Carlsbad. Really good. Awesome coffee, and they have a delicious cinnamon roll. I have been looking to get a butter tart with my coffee, but I was told today that it is a "Canadian thing". It is a very good thing, and our neighbours should adopt it! 
While down at the coast we went to the Oceanside pier. Saw this lil guy with a funny sign and thought it was worth the share. 

Next update will be at the end of camp. By then I should have climbed Palomar mountain once, if not twice. First attempt is scheduled for Saturday! If you want to see some of the other fun stuff that the team is doing, then check out the facebook page. Much more frequent updates as more team members are contributing to the news. You can find that HERE

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, and are having a great start to your own year doing what ever you are looking to accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...