Friday, May 1, 2015

Can Someone Please Remove This Curse? Gruesome Images attached

So last weekend was P2A. I was super excited because for the first time in 8 years I was finally in the elite wave. We had great weather and it had been pretty dry leading up to it. I rode super cautiously in the off road bits to stay safe. At about 40km (I have no recollection of what happened), but from talking to a few people it seems as though I might have rubbed wheels. How does that happen in a single file pace line? My best guess is that I was overlapping wheels a bit to shield from a northernly wind (riding straight east at this point), and maybe the guy shifted quickly over into me. I honestly have no idea, and if you know please comment and tell me. Clear, straight road, absolutely no reason for it at all. Catskills crash was the same way (that time a fluke front tire blow out) less than a year ago. I need some better luck!

Anyway apparently I didn't know my name or the year so I got sent via ambulance to Brantford General. Got imaged up and sent to Hamilton where they have a plastic surgery team to help stitch up my face.  Anyway I know from the success of the old show "Scars" (on MTV I believe?) that people like to see this stuff. So attached is a few pics. Only head, helmet and sunglasses got beat up. Rest of body and bike is fine. Cost of this crash: Lazer Z1 helmet, prescription Oakley Jawbones, over 20 stitches, 3 facial fractures, 2 front teeth, and a mild Concussion. (When I wrote that I sang it in the tune of 12 days of Christmas...) Luckily I didn't need any surgery for facial fractures. The dental process I have to wait and see what will happen there...

Anyway what does this mean? Well I am not getting paid to race, so I am stopping road racing for a few weeks (doctor suggested 6) to let my facial bones heal up. Depending on the concussion I will hopefully be back training soon. I might still try for the TT OCUP/worlds qualifier just because I will be by myself. I will keep the healing process updated on here for those following!


Ambulance bound.

Looks like before stitches and clean up, at hospital. 
A little thing my sister put together from my two days in the hospital.

Updated pic! Swelling is down and now most stitches are removed. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh OUCH. I'm glad to see you're up and about. I've been following your progress via Jeff Kehler updates, not that there were many, but that's what led me here. I hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Chris, that's insane! Hope you heal up fast and well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris, so sorry to learn about this just now! Really hope you're healing up and if there's anything I can do let me know! -Luke Vanlauwe

    ReplyDelete

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...