Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Bike the Bruce: Provincial Time Trial and Road Race

The past weekend near Wiarton and Owen Sound were the Provincial Championships for the road race and time trial. Both had stellar courses, and you certainly missed out if you weren't able to make it. They were reasonably priced, very scenic route (if you were able to notice it), and the roads were wide and smooth. The road course had a demanding kicker each lap that I noticed my garmin say was 16%, and there were a couple nice corners and downhills. It had a bit of everything. The weather even held out for the elite race starts, although the rain and cooler air might have helped me.

For the TT, I wasn't feeling great. I have been coughing for over a week now, and slowly it feels like a cold is building. I got a nice warm up and my legs were feeling meh. Brought my bike to bike check at the start, and the sticklers that the OCA are, made me remove my aero bottle because it was 12cm long, 2 cm past the accepted range. I had no idea about the rule, but this just meant no water for me for the TT.

They had a nice little start ramp set up, and they counted me down and I was off! It felt like a great start. I got my speed up high, hit the first downhill and did a nice little tuck hoping to get a little extra speed. I hammered for another 4-5mins before checking my heart rate and watts to see how I was doing. Pain wise, it felt like I was at or above where I needed to be. My heart rate was 10 beats lower than I wanted, and I was missing about 30 watts... This wasn't good. I wasn't too concerned about the watts, as I noticed the stages powermeter I put on my TT bike has been low (it could be the powermeter, or my left side is incredibly weak). At this point I was around 172 heart rate and 340watts. I looked at my speed, and it was OK, so I told myself I could still do good just keep pushing.
I am paying money to feel this bad...

At the turn-around, I noticed my minute man was close, and so were a few others... It wasn't long before Robert caught me. Then Derek Gee (the eventual overall winner). I had to stay positive, and keep pushing to the end. My power kept dropping... 340, 335, 330, 320... I couldn't even get any more power out, no matter how hard I tried. Just before the hill Mark caught me, and I was able to use him as a pace guide for the hill. I ended up finishing just behind, with an average watts of 315. Pretty terrible showing from me considering in March I was able to do 358watts for 1hr up Palomar mountain. I do have an issue going on with my left side, so I was probably closer to 330W (Stages only measures left leg then doubles it). The TT overall was just under 40km, and I averaged 43.8km/h. Still a half decent speed, but I should have been at least a minute faster. Gaelan pulled a TT out of no where, finishing a few minutes ahead of me, just off the podium. Good to see his TT skills really improving.
iPhone has live pictures. Here is what happens when you screenshot a live picture!

I spent the rest of the day with my Bro, Sister and mom. We went to Sauble and I rested up in the cold lake in preparation for the next day's ass whooping.

To prevent this from getting too long, I will try and keep this shorter. The race started off fast, nothing was getting away with everyone wanting to be in the moves. On the second lap Gaelan and Peter Disera broke off the front, I believe around the hill and they were to stay away. At most I believe their gap got to 1:40 going into the final lap. As the race went on, the pace stayed high and it started to wear into my legs. Again I was missing a good anaerobic push to make it up the steep incline. On the third lap (of five) I ended up off the pack with a few Neworld guys that pulled us back on. The fourth lap, the peloton split on the climb. Larbi and Mark thought to tag team a chase on their own, while a group of about 8 of us rotated through an echelon and caught back on around the same time Larbi and Mark did, before hitting the main road. The fifth lap I started to cramp up. I never ran out of water, and I wasn't thirsty. Maybe I just needed more electrolytes. I just had to make it through the last lap. Up the climb it blew up. A few Neworld guys looked like they had nothing left at the bottom. At the top, I looked up and saw half the pack about 500m up the road and I was completely spent. There were a few of us together, Marc Freemantle, Peter Morse, Christian Ricci and Nigel. At first I couldn't stay with them, but after a little bit of easier spinning I caught back on. The group grew as people were dropping from the front group, but then some dropped from off. I had to skip a pull in the echelon here and there as I was dead. I gave it everything I had just to finish with that group and roll in with 12th in the elite men. I was completely spent physically and mentally. Word on the street is that a few riders in the front group were able to bridge up to Gaelan and Peter (Jeff Schiller, Derek Gee and Mark Brouwer) and mix it up in the sprint. You can see how that played out in the results.
Maybe bike racing would be easier if I was a smaller dude...

I finished this race wondering what the hell is going on. I have been training my ass off and the races here seem to keep getting harder. In the states the racing is much easier it seems. Racing here I feel like I am a brand new Cat 4 rider. I get it, racing is supposed to be tough, but I sat in and conserved the whole race and had absolutely nothing to give at the end. And by no means do I consider myself to be a weak rider. This off season I have some thinking and reworking to do, to see what needs to be done moving forwards.

Keeping up with the data sharing, here is my power data histogram for the road race (almost 4hrs). The bins are 10watts wide I believe. 



Time trial results: http://racetiming.ca/results/1643-1.htm
Road race results: http://racetiming.ca/results/1644-1.htm
If you want more pictures from races, there are a lot of great ones here: http://www.ivanrupes.com

2 comments:

  1. Wow it is a amazing try .
    I believe you are looking in the wrong place for energy .
    As I have said many times before . Where to look .
    I'm sorry to say that because I'm saying it .
    It's worth nothing .
    I will say this !!! There is one person keeping you from your goal . That is your reason for the drain .
    Find your Peace and mind your own business . Stay away of fights and bad Karma . You need energy . The best energy is happy energy. It is still the strongest energy .
    For anyone reading this . I know no other to put it .
    Jesus said when you truly forgive ! You have a renewed energy in you . Start a new .
    So understand this and your results will change . If not while then you already know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaga mushroom tea
    Try it for you . Your Papa has white burch trees . There is where it grows . Only take 70% of the mushroom .
    Next try it in one of your research things in school . See what you find .
    I wish you the best always .

    ReplyDelete

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...