Sunday, March 13, 2016

And that's a wrap! Cali training camp in the books

After a bunch of riding, lots of miles and meters of elevation climbed, I must return home. It was awesome to do nothing but train, but it can get a little boring after a while so I am glad to go home. Pictures will say more than I can come up with to share so I will post them here. If you are interested in the rides I did, you can creep my strava and see what went down.
Of course it would rain when I am here. It is an El Nino year after all. We tried to plan our rest days to coincide with the rain, so it worked out nicely. 

If you are down here and looking for group ride, check out the Swami's rides. This picture was taken when I was enroute to try their legendary Wednesday morning ride, but then I ended up getting two flats. I just happened to be in front of this lovely shop while I waited for coach Komar to help out and drop off a wheel while dropping Emily off to the airport. 


Palomar looked pretty big, but it was always hard to get a good perspective of size. The only way I could do it was to use houses as scale bars. After trying to get a picture from many different areas, I think this best captures the height. I should have taken a picture after the above rain storm when it dumped a bunch of snow on top. 

18.7km at 7% avg gradient later, you can get to the top of Palomar. We climbed it twice while here. First round I went 1:02:27, round two I paced a bit better and dropped my time to 1:00:58. It was one hell of an effort. I have been told that the time was pretty good. I also think my body got a bit more used to the altitude over the time here as I felt more capable of getting out of the saddle and pushing on the second attempt. 


And after the first round we got a group picture at the summit by the Mothers restaurant/store. Lots of good riders here!

Unfortunately on my last ride, my front shifter broke. Damn shimano... I literally have been using the bike for just 2 weeks. Where is the quality control? Hopefully I can get it all fixed up in time for good friday. Can't let this fitness go to waste!

I have to thank some people that helped make this first training camp possible. My parents and grandparents who helped donate to the 'Feed Chris Foundation', and helped give me airport transportation. Sharon and Robbie for letting me stay at their beautiful house. My female teammates for helping to make the camp fun. And of course Coach Komar for the long list of things he helped with. I would list them, but then he might get mad that I missed something. So just know it was long. 

2 comments:

  1. That is one thing for sure ! You are a hard worker and train as well . Christopher it is awesome to see you did it with the set backs in equipment .
    I hope that you get a sponsor for your ride !
    A little info when I raced in my sport my training book said to feed everyone you are going to race against a pop . This helps build up the latic acid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did the pop trick . You may want look into it more. As your friends say your 150% in the game . Best wishes on every ride !

      Delete

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...