Sunday, February 1, 2015

Update - An older me

Hey guys,

Just turned 23, so I have officially jumped ship into the tougher/deeper field of elite riders. Hopefully with my new age will come new found wisdom for this coming season. I will try to update every week if possible, some might be shorter than others, and some might just be me saying something for tips such as my last post.

For my training I have been doing more volume on the bike and cut back my running to just once a week at about 45min-1hr. I have started doing one long ride a week in the spin room (3-4hrs) and those are proving to be pretty tough. Especially since you combat dehydration more so I find indoors because it gets so much warmer and you don't have the wind to cool you down. Add in to that one day of some lower end z4 to try and get some power back in my legs. Things are hopefully shaping up to see me be my fittest for this coming season!

The other big part that I need lots of work on this year is my mind game. Definitely highly overlooked when people outside the sport look at it. So much strategy and gambling is required if you want to see results. I find I might have been a little to cautious and not wanting to make anyone mad/upset with me. While I am here, I do want to quickly draw the line that I am talking about going for breaks, staying near the front of the pack and suffering when I need to and talking about not cutting people off or pushing people out of the spot I want in the peloton. There is no need for stupid crashes and I don't want to be part of them. Ok, back to where I was, I think knowing I have a better engine to back me will help give me the confidence to go for it, rather than sit in and hope things will all come back together nicely like in cat4.

I have already signed up for Paris to Ancaster, and Steaming Nostril. Both races are a blast, and a great way to test your early season fitness without having to worry so much about results. If you can, try to make it out to them yourself!

Anyway I have a pile of reading to do, so I will leave you here. Hope your fitness goals are coming along as well as mine. I will leave you with a motivational quote from a quick google search:

"Stop wishing. Start doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...