Monday, June 24, 2013

Switching it up: 24hr Summer Solstice MTB Race

The first time I did this race was with a 5 person team, with a bunch of guys at the end of high school that didn't know too much about biking. We ended up with 2nd in our category by default but left happy with lap times that I would be upset to put up now. My best lap in 2010 was I think 1:16.

The race can be done solo (for the insane) or all the way up to teams of 10 that do it as a relay. Each team gets a card that they scan as they come through each lap. The computer uses this to count laps and record times. They hand the card off to the next person and then they tuck that card up their shorts from the bottom and the spandex keeps it there holding it against the leg. Thinking of it makes it seem pretty gross because its covered it sweat from the last person but your so excited to get going that it doesn't even cross your mind. Trick tip: bring tons of kits (shirt and shorts, maybe even extra gloves and probably socks) to this race, nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night to have to put on a kit still soaked in sweat.

The race is held at Albion Hills conservation area, and included in your race fee is a camping spot so you can camp the weekend, makes for a great weekend! This year the course was perfect, not too dry and a little rain before we got there made the course tacky. There was no rain during the race, only extreme heat! I heard some people complain that they thought the course was too hilly, but I thought it was rather flat. Maybe I am just use to going up hill and enjoy it! The course was crazy fast and flowy and the harder technical sections had bailout options for us roadies and the others that didn't feel so confident with them. I hit most of the technical spots though wanting to feel like I belonged with the rest of my team that was composed of dedicated mountain bike racers. At one point there is a 5km to go sign and it is a dream crusher. You forget that 5km is almost a third of the course and you still have 15-20mins (if your moving quick) left. Im used to 5km being under 10mins to go!

This year we chose the 4 person mixed, no night category. Being the youngest on the team and the one with the least off road experience I had to make sure I didn't let the team down. We started with our top guys for the first two laps so that we were positioned on the course with the faster riders. Eventually the course gets so dispersed with riders of all abilities all over the course because of the varying lap times people put up. This can slow you down as it is hard to pass slower riders on the single track but people are usually kind and move over when they can. I went off third and did my first lap at 57:52. About 5 mins slower our teams top lap time and 10 mins slower than the top lap time the course saw this weekend.

The second lap really hurt and tacked on an extra minute to the first lap. We weren't fast enough to get an extra lap in before the 7:20 cut off for  no nights but we were sitting in first! We got to enjoy the evening and relax at the camp fire as we watch riders all over leave their camp sites with super bright lights head out for night laps (which are really fun but it was nice to switch it up this year).

Sunday saw us start racing back up at 6am,  and we kept the same order as the previous day so I ended up heading out just before 8. This ended up being my slowest lap as I just couldnt get much power out of my legs when the course opened up to the double track. Lap time was 1:00:29.

The race was pretty close with 15mins separating second place team from us and all it would take is a flat or mechanical and it would completely change the race. Luck was on our side and I got send out on the final lap at around 11:40. The cut off to leave for your last lap is noon but you must be in before 1pm or the lap doesnt count. My legs felt alright this lap and I tried to ride the single track as smoothly as I could. I thought I was flying and was about to post my best lap time. Ended up being just under an hour for this lap. My team was waiting for me at the end with a celebration beer, we WON!

Got my first winners jersey, and a gold medal. Have to thank my team RaceDayRush.com/CoachChris.ca for carrying us to the victory. The race is a great time and I would recommend it to anyone that can ride a mountain bike. With around 2100 participants this year (yes 2100), hardly any of that number are dedicated mtb racers. Most people are out just to have fun and ride their bike! (and if your competitive theres the fact that it is a race and you can try to beat the rest of your teams lap times :P )

Next races for me will be the two provincials races with the crit next weekend and the road race at the end of the month! Ill try and get pics up when I find some from this race.

Results: http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pages/results/20130623-191629-SummerSolstice2013oca.html

Garmin data for one lap: here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...