Sunday, June 2, 2013

Crash-tacular! – KW Classic Edition



Sunday was the KW Classic, and the weather caused a whole bunch of troubles for our race at least. The course this year was run opposite to last year and I really liked the course this way. Started off on a flat section then a quick right-left into a fast slightly downhill section. This curved around to the back section of the track and then we were met with a short up hill. After this was a nice little descent into the residential area where we made a left and started about a kilometer gradual climb. We made a left from here to a little punch climb and then there was one more right to make then 100m to the finish line (although for our race we had to do 16 laps of this for about 75km total).

The weather was on and off rain and sun, with some pretty good down pours during the race. It felt nice as it cooled us off but also made it very slippery.

Right from the beginning of the race there were a lot of attacks. I decided to sit back as I knew it was too early for this category for a 1 or 2 man break to stick. I played it conservatively for a few laps not knowing how my legs would hold up today.  At about the 8th lap in, on the top of the hill the pack eased up and I decided to have some fun and go off the front. They let me build a pretty large gap and I stayed away for almost two laps. The wind was too strong and I realized it was pretty unlikely that I would be able to solo the rest of the way. I sat back in near the front of the peloton and rode conservatively till near the end of the race. That’s when things got nasty…
Coming into the last lap just before the turn, two riders went down (not sure how) and I was able to ride in between them on the ground. I made sure to hold my position near the front. Pace was really high for this last lap, with on rider off the front still. We caught him on the final climb. I was sitting around 6th wheel at the top of the climb getting ready to open up for the sprint. We turned the last corner and I see two guys in front of me go down and before I realize it I also went down. Not sure if it had anything to do with them, or coming around that wet corner at 47km/h. Either way it wasn’t fun and ruined my good chance at a great result. I am constantly reminded that there are a lot of things that can go wrong in racing and its not always the best rider that wins, there is some luck to it as well.

Anyways now there is more pressure on me to perform well at next weekends OCUP TT near Ottawa so I can get the upgrade points I need. Ill post pictures when I find some, didn’t have a designated photographer with me today.

Stay tuned: later this week I will post some time trialing tips. Pretty basic but good reminders to those familiar, and great starter tips for those new to triathlons or time trials and want to learn if equipment does matter. Also with all my new experience to road rash this year, maybe ill do a write up later on how to make things go as good as they can until it heals.
Until next time,
Happy riding!

Garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/321929215
Race Results: http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pages/results/20130602-220213-kwresults.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...