Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday Road Race

I had much higher expectations for myself than what came out today. Recently i've seen my numbers on the spin bike increase from the increased training load and z4 intervals so I thought I would be in great shape today. Nope!
I started towards the back of the pack and spent a good portion of the first lap trying to move up. Got somewhere near the top 1/3 but at the expense of my legs. The second half of the lap had a strong wind which kept riders away from the yellow line. I saw this as an opportunity to move up. Adding the extra power while taking on the wind did wonders to my legs.
Going into the second lap I dropped off the back as the peloton got strung out (I fell back some positions by this point). The people ahead of me started to fall off as well. I managed to work with a guy that I worked with at Terra Cotta, Greg, and we got back on. All of this was in vain as the same strung out peloton with people dropping off ahead of me happened again. Greg and I were too tired to be able to move up when we first got back on, and again we were both off the back. We tried to chase hard during the third of five laps. We had the peloton max 200m away up until we got back to Trinity road. The wind again did wonders and pulled us further away. As we started the fourth lap we saw that they were gone so we gave up hope. I finished the fourth lap and called it a day.

Things to take from this:
1. Start near the front!
2. Don't sacrifice yourself in the wind in order to gain better position that early in race. Not worth it.
3. No pain no gain. Make sure you do the work to stay on the pack, if you drop off you will be doing more work.

I'll be skipping Calabogie as my funds are looking a little low until I start work again, but ill be racing Bronte and P2A over the next two weekends.

Results: http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pages/results/20130329-230911-gfresults.htm
Garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/290344220

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...