Sunday, August 9, 2015

Big food for a big week!

I have been logging lots of hours on the bike recently and nutrition has always been an interesting thing for me. I am probably one of the worst people you will meet for nutrition. It isn't that I eat all bad stuff, just a lot of it. I have good reasoning for it. A typical person needs 1500-2000 calories a day, and in that they are able to get all of the essential nutrients to live a healthy life. So if I am biking and burning an extra 1000-3000 calories, my body is only (for the most part) using up fats and carbohydrates for that. The rest of my body still operates the same, and therefore I shouldn't need to make every one of the 4500 calories count for nutrition if it will just end up leaving my body without being used. Eat a good 1500-2000 calories that will give you your vitamins and minerals and then use those extra calories on tasty food and save that will power for when you need it on the last interval of a hard workout.
Side note, for anyone trying to lose weight, it is definitely a calorie in-calorie out thing, it is based off of simple math and physics. You need this much energy to do a task and if you don't eat the energy, then your body will take from what it has. I used this to originally drop 40lbs when I got into riding, and every winter to lose the 20lbs I put on in the fall. It makes sense and it works.

Anyway, I thought I would throw up what I ate on Friday. It is one of my bad days, but I went on to ride 200km the next day, and all the extra calories helped fuel that!

Breakfast:
Big bowl of fruitloops with milk

Bike ride -3hours ~ 1700-2000 calories burned:
Fig bar
Water mixed with cytomax

Snacks and recovery food:
Fruit protein smoothie ( muscle milk protein, fruit juice, yogurt, frozen mixed berries)
brownie

Lunches and snacks (spread out over the work day):
Pasta salad
Cold meat sandwich with mustard
Nananimo bar x2
brownie x2
Butter tart
Granola bar with 10g protein
Watermelon
1 cup of trail mix

Dinner:
6 inch Chicken bacon sub, and 12 inch steak and cheese sub from subway

Late night snack:
2 pieces of BBQ chicken pizza with fat-free caesar dressing to dip

There you have it! There is some good food choices in there and some bad ones, but I always say the bad choices are good ones for my soul.

Next up for me is some surgery on Friday. Getting one front tooth removed and two posts put in to later get some teeth attached. This will be fun... Just oral sedative and some freezing, wooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...