Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Paris to Ancaster to Forget

The weather was the best it had been in years. Legs felt great and I was aiming for a top 100 spot to make the elite wave next year. The course was shortened due to the heavy rain during the week leading up to the event. My brother decided to do the half St George to Ancaster 40km race.
I started a bit back in wave one. I figured showing up to the line 20 mins in advance would be enough time, turns out it wasn't. Worked hard to catch up, and get by the slower people. Mechanical #1: turns out I didn't tighten my seat post enough and over the first 10km, it slowly dropped with every bump I hit. Forgot my CO2 and multi-tool at my student house, so I had to find someone that had one. Got one, took the guy's number, fixed it and had lost about a minute. Fresh legs now, sprinting to catch back up, got into a farmer's field and did one too many shifts up. Mechanical #2: chain jammed between the cassette and the spokes. Lost the group I was with and a couple minutes trying to get it out. Fresh legs again, caught up to the guys, and passed them in the next farmer's field section. Killed it along the rail trail from Jerseyville Road, on route to Powerline East. Passed quite a few people here, riding mainly solo. As soon as the course turned off it went onto an uphill, loose gravel section. Mechanical #3: Shift up and chain really got jammed between the spokes and cassette. Lots caught me here, probably took about 5mins to fix. Again fresh legs now, and sprinted onwards. Nailed the two mudslides passing a few people along the way. Met the kind gentleman that gave me the multi-tool and returned it. Bike felt weird coming out of the second mudslide. Mechanical #4: Rear flat tire. I forgot my C02 dispenser but had a canister. I prepped the tire with a fresh tube and started asking for help. Someone stopped and offered up a C02 and said to keep it. (if you were the one that gave me it and want it back let me know!! I never got your number or anything) I inflated it, and my stupidity, I forgot to check if the bead caught the rim. It didn't on one section so had to get someone else to stop with a pump. Needless to say I lost a few minutes again. This was about 5km from the finish. Was able to catch a few people by the top of the climb. The course was surprising dry in most areas such as the rail trail, so it made for a fast course.
I wasn't able to put up a great result for the CoachChris.ca team, but many others did great! I finished 278ish, and 29th in my age group.
What I really love about this race is the camaraderie. When people are at the side of the road, anyone that goes by checks to see if you are ok. After I finished, I waited for my brother at the bottom of the hill and cheered on the people that were preparing for a sweet climb. I was changed into my regular clothes and rinsed my face off so it didn't look like I rode. People gave me the "go screw yourself" look, or the "lets see you do this" look. The people that were coming through by this time were just trying to make it to the finish. They all did great work pushing themselves.
Legs felt great today, feel the power coming back which is a great sign. The additional riding outside is a lot better at building up the power than on the spin bike.
Next race will be Springbank crit on May 5th.

Garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/298123864
Results (both 70km and 45km): http://www.parisancaster.com/results.html
Hopefully post some nice pictures in the picture section if I find some posted.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the review of the paris to ancaster race- I am considering it this year as a first attempt with my ancient touring bike outfitted with some knobby tires. curious- do you think a set of 700 X 35 (front) and 700 X 38(rear) can hack the terrain?

    thanks in advance
    rpost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would put the wider tire on the front and the narrower tire on the rear.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the read!
    You could definitely make it through no problem. A lot of the muddy sections are backed up so you end up walking anyway. I have done this race on mostly bald cross tyres (700x32). I got new cross tyres for last years race with knobs and it was much better in the mud. I think your set up will work well!

    ReplyDelete

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...