Sunday, May 4, 2014

A crashless Springbank

Who knew it could be possible?! All the riders, at least in our field stayed upright. There is video footage below if you don't feel much like reading, courtesy of my brother Jesse. I'll keep the reading short and sweet.

Early in the race, Jeff Schiller attacked in a solo effort and started to build a big gap. A few laps after a small chase group of three went up the road to try and bridge the gap. The peloton, at least to the spectators didn't seem to be putting in much effort as Schiller's gap kept growing. My legs were saying otherwise. It got so big that the announcers thought it was easier to report it to us as how far he was behind us, instead of vice versa. A prime was announced in one of the last few laps, and in the last quarter of the lap the field got broken up. Unfortunately I was in the back half, but my team mate, Andrew House, made the front group. Schiller was able to keep his big gap that he formed and soloed to another victory in London. Jack Burke came in a little ways back on his own to take second. The group of three was caught by the front of the peloton split group and the sprinted for the next spots. I was able to take third in my group sprint for 14th overall, after making up some solid ground during the sprint. It was good enough to get my first two OCUP points in the Elite 1/2 field!

Next race is Saturday morning in Collingwood. Scenic caves will be the finish, and it is going to be a leg burner after riding 150km. It might be best to try and convince yourself that they took it out, and just be surprised at the end when they actually didn't. Then you won't spend the whole day knowing hell awaits you with open arms.

Garmin data: here
Results: here
I will try and post up some pics later on if I find some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...