Saturday, April 19, 2014

Good Friday Road Race -Media Edition

Normally I have lots of writing for you guys to go through. This time I had my family with me for support and they were able to get a few pictures and some video so I will exchange some words for media. Even with all these people here, no one reminded me to take off my saddle bag, so I had a big pouch hanging from my seat the whole race! Combo that with still riding my wire bead trainer tire and that must be why I didn't win, right?

This was my first Ontario cup race as a cat 2 racer. Last year I dropped out of the race in only cat 3, so I was unsure how this was going to go. I was able to stay with the group until the last lap, towards the end when the pack split. The race was won by a break that was barely able to stay away at the end of the race. They broke away as soon as we left the fairgrounds on the first lap and had built up a 5min gap at one point of the race. The last 3 laps, the peloton really picked up the pace and the break must have either gotten tired or stopped working together as by the finish there wasn't much of a gap remaining. The finishing breakaway group however was much smaller, but 127km in a break is a lot to ask of your legs this early in the season!

This was a very challenging day, and my legs were toast at the end of this. I am very happy where my fitness level is, especially compared to last year at this time. I have my coach to thank for that!

Alright the usual:
results: here
garmin data: here
additional photos from the Hamilton Cycling Club: here

And we are off!


Rolling through another lap


More racers rolling through

Coming in hot to the gravel section
Photo finish for the sprint!
And to finish off, a quick video with footage of the finish including a slow playback of the leaders coming in.

As always, thanks for stopping by to see what I have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racetiming.ca Crit - Finally cracking the top 10!

As the title says, finally I was able to crack the top 10 in an E1/2 Ontario Cup. For some reason this race wasn't very well attended. I...